Bell County’s second jail was built in 1872. This jail was replaced in 1883. The building, at its heart, is a limestone construction now stuccoed over. Originally, it had no doors or windows on the first floor – and the prisoners were dropped into 1st floor cells from the 2nd floor. It has been repurposed and is now a private residence. For those interested in owning history, the building was for sale when we visited. Be warned, some of its history is fairly gruesome – including the mob lynching of 9 former prisoners on one night in the 1870’s.