1940 Courthouse 1976 Courthouse
Location – Angleton Angleton
Built – 1940 1976
Style – Moderne Modern
Architect – Lamar Cato Wyatt Hedrick
Photographed – 12/20/11 12/20/11
Brazoria County is one of the most historical counties in Texas. The original capital of Texas was located in Brazoria County, though only for a short time.
There are actually 3 different courthouse buildings on the same grounds. The 1897 courthouse now serves as the county museum. The 1940 and 1976 courthouses are cojoined by a glass atrium which makes a nice entrance between the two very different buildings. Though neither building is particulary outstanding, it does make a better answer than tear it down and build new. The 1940 courthouse is a good representation of the moderne style, and was actually built a little late for that style (just before WW II when most building would stop).